CEASE AND DESIST / Day 2 -- JUST COFFEE, PLEASE

photocourtesyjjjjoundblog




Peeps,


I admit to having a love affair with coffee; truthfully more of a love-hate relationship for its effect on me (both physical and otherwise).  I love a cup of strong coffee in the morning, preferably with sugar and milk.  I'll take it to-go, or quickly sip it while taking in the bright new day, as I mentally review the to-do list, calculate how to accomplish all the errands and chores.  Somewhere before evening, I'll need to make another quick stop for refueling, and at that time perhaps treat myself to a slice of lemon tart, or small flan covered with carmel and a dusting of cinnamon.  I've never understood the ability of some folks to sit for hours, (whether in a coffee-shop or at home) drinking endless cups of coffee until the pot is empty, or the 11 o'clock news signals that the morning is now gone, and preparations for lunch should start.


After entering the highly popular coffee-shop/chain (you know the one that is on every corner), I carefully wind around tables occupied by headless figures bent over lap-tops and other electronic devices, news junkies hidden behind newspapers, and slouched bodies who have already claimed couches and easy-chairs for all-day snooze sessions or ad-hoc slacker conventions.  To reach the order counter, I must navigate between stands of festive holiday cups, brightly-colored tins of speciality coffee, biscuits and other goodies, bottled water, KIND bars, CD's, DVD's, gourmet cook-books and other reading material.  If I chanced upon pajamas, tubes of moisturizer, or hair-brushes for sale, neatly displayed beneath rows of kettles, tea-preparing paraphernalia, and carry-mugs, I would not be surprised at **'s continual attempts to be all-encompassing/a one-stop-shop/home-away-from-home/controller-of-a-vast-empire-stretching-from-here-to-eternity/the-grandest-poobah.  Truthfully, I find all this comfy, cozy corporation-mandated-to-franchise cheer a little off-putting, and so invariably I head for the nearest 7-11, or small, independent shop where service is surprisingly fast, and the vibe seems more attuned to just serving a great cup of coffee (I believe the endless selection of cremes/sugars/flavors found elsewhere is meant to distract), and cost less than 4 or 5 or 6 dollars (and tip) at you know where.


I am no coffee-snob; my dad loved instant Mexican coffee, and never varied from a large cup made milky-sweet by 2 table-spoons of condensed milk, and I am fond of the same.  As a teenager, I loved staying up late (buzzed out of my mind after secretly drinking coffee, something forbidden at the time), my radio tuned to KRGV, a music station out of McAllen, TX where DJ Greg Gonzalez always played The Brothers Johnson, SOS BAND, and Rose Royce.  At 16, I wanted out/away/no limits/no control/freedom/adventure/take risks; music and dreaming allowed me to do this, night after night -- at least from 1030 pm until about 430 when the reception faded into dull static or bleeps and blips.  Funny, I seem to be doing the same thing as of late; up until the wee hours, kept company by internet radio, and still dreaming.  The difference is now I share with you all (design-obsessed peeps, FB friends, and my extended family around the world).  Love all of you!!


Sincerely,
Shane


PS:  Tonight's favorite tune is The Right Thing by Moby, featuring Inyang Bassey, and ** means that I dare not say that corporation's name, or else ......






  


   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT 11.9.13