Friday's Visual Treat - Day 5/Inspired By Gardens

imagecourtesyofwavehillgardens
Peeps,


I want my garden a little dirty.  I want my garden, like natural--you know.   Baby, I want my garden 'real.' 
I want my garden to resemble what I imagine is the harmonious order of growth: trees and shrubs and plants that provide food and shelter to the birds, bees, butterflies, and one that provides me with beauty; also somewhere where I can work off my stress (in the tedious task of weeding or pulling ivy).  I want a garden that exemplifies the inherent rhythm of life through orderly phases and then death, or an indeterminate sleep.  I want this all in a well-planned design that mimics what I imagine 'nature' to be:  thus-- the natural garden principle(s) that rightfully should be adopted by every concerned community within earshot (or eye-sight) of this f/blog.  Following closely the native flora of that region for integration into one's design; installing and maintaining one's garden as close to undisturbed as possible; holding back on the fertilizers, pesticides, invasive non-species like ivy, loose-strife, barberry, and Chinese clematis; stop or decrease the use of mulch and anything resembling plastic such as weed-barriers and mulch made out of car-tires; read any literature on methods to encourage birds, bees, and butterflies; utilize methods and technology to minimize erosion, mineral depletion, and rain run-off;  cruise around any of the many web-sites devoted to native plants and land conservancy.  And visit your nearest public park or garden, you'll be glad you did.

Joni Mitchell captured our current dilemma and impending crisis quite well when she sang: 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now
Give me spots on my apples but leave me the birds and the bees (please!) 
  

Enjoy the visual treat and have a wonderful holiday weekend....
Shane








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT 11.9.13