Thursday's Visual Treat - Day 4/ Peep-Show (wings of faith/endless rapture mix)

imagecourtesyofexitlineblog
Peeps,






Good Friday will be celebrated tomorrow, and across the world believers of every race and nationality gather in sacred places to reaffirm a shared belief in holy transcendence.  I am profoundly moved by their passion and zeal and faith; to suspend rationality in deference to the purported realm of the metaphysical is indeed an act of defiance.  Clumsily paraphrasing the musician David Sylvan, the words still haunt me and thus I share that song bar:  millions live their lives in His Name.  In spite of personal reservation and some hesitancy about the place and placement of oneself among the heavens, I remain quite open to the possibility of presence, as well as absence.  This state of being, I realize is quite similar to the theme of Danish painter Vilhelm Hammershoi's austere yet beautiful interior: a series of rooms plainly empty, yet somehow inhabited by an unseen presence.  I find that this work challenges me to find meaning and its ambiguity brings me a certain satisfaction, perhaps a tantalizing glimpse of inner peace.  Precious little painting (from 1905) isn't it??

Enjoy,
Shane


-- 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VT 11.9.13